People are becoming more conscious about their looks and how they come across. This, along with the flourishing entertainment and modeling industry, is creating unprecedented demand for makeup professionals.
1. So who is a makeup professional?
A makeup artist is a professional who visually transforms a person’s appearance using make-up, cosmetics, prosthetics, etc. They augment the positive attributes while hiding the flaws, thereby enhancing the personality and boosting the customers’ confidence.
They are of great importance in the success of performing arts like films, television, theatre, etc., for they help to bring alive the character the writer and director have visualized. Furthermore, fashion designers also seek to envisage varied innovative concepts to present their collections to the world. In addition, they also come up with ideas for photoshoots and fashion shows.
2. Roles and Responsibilities of Makeup Artist:
- Interacting with clients-producers, directors, writers, customers, fashion designers, etc. to comprehend the desired look, needs, visual requirements, dos & don’ts
- Analyzing scripts, reference sketches, photographs, costumes, and other material to ascertain the desired look and to identify the cosmetic requirements
- Identify the research areas to get the requisite inspiration to come up with a look and hence the makeup.
- Sketch the makeup design ideas along with hairstyles to get the client’s approval.
- Seek understanding of the lighting, photographic process, colors, and the relevant impact on the makeup to ascertain requirements basis visual and technical standpoint.
- The makeup artist must ensure consistency, coherence, and continuity in the overall look, be it in hairstyling or makeup or the use of prosthetics.
- He must determine the budget by the required working hours, staff required, cosmetics, supplies, tools, transportation, and adherence to certain norms set by the client. In addition, he must keep track of wastage & expenses.
- Coordinating to transport the requisite equipment, material, and staff
- We are negotiating & purchasing requisite material as and when required.
- Analyzing the customer’s skin tone, complexion, and hair to ascertain any specific requirements in terms of makeup, cosmetics, and equipment
- Ensure proper hygiene etiquettes, cleaning of workstation, tools & equipment
- Ensure the application of makeup professionally.
- Ascertain proper preparation of skin – cleaning, exfoliating, moisturizing, and priming before application of makeup.
- Make sure application of makeup setter so that makeup lasts longer.
- Not only in applying, but he must also help in removing the makeup as well as prosthetics.
- He must have comprehensive knowledge about various makeup processes and their effects on the skin and appropriate action that needs to be taken to minimize unpleasant side effects if they occur.
- He should be organized and keep track of his appointments. Must be capable of handling multiple clients. He should have an inkling of the time required for various makeup procedures and adhere to deadlines.
- He must keep up with the ensuing market trends, the best practices, new procedures, techniques, tools & equipment besides new cosmetics.
- Keep an updated portfolio and maintain proper client records.
- He must gain perfection by regularly practicing new techniques. In addition, he must train apprentices.
3. Professional makeup courses
Given the popularity as well as scope, there are lots of colleges offering professional makeup courses. While selecting the apt method, ensure that the certification provided is recognized at both national and international levels. The system must ensure a hands-on approach besides theoretical knowledge. It must offer interaction with experts as well as training in up-to-date techniques.
Just go ahead and enroll now!!